Winter Weather Tips For Your Home
Winter Weather Tips for Your Cape May or Cumberland County Home.
It's not too late for winter weather preparedness!
PREPARE YOUR HOME
• Insulate any water lines that run along exterior walls so your water supply will be less likely to freeze.
• Caulk and weather-strip doors and windows.
• Insulate walls and attic.
• Install storm or thermal-pane windows or cover windows with plastic from the inside.
• Repair roof leaks and cut away tree branches that could fall on your home or other structure during a storm.
Have your chimney or flue inspected each year.
If you plan to use a fireplace or wood stove for emergency heating, have your chimney or flue inspected each year. Ask your local fire department to recommend an inspector or find one online.
Install a smoke detector and a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector.
• If you’ll be using a fireplace, wood stove, or kerosene heater, install a smoke detector and a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector near the area to be heated. Test them monthly and replace batteries twice a year.
• Keep a multipurpose, dry-chemical fire extinguisher nearby.
• All fuel-burning equipment should be vented to the outside.
• Each winter season have your furnace system and vent checked by a qualified technician to ensure they are functioning properly.
Check out these tips on getting your family, home, and car ready for a winter storm. Learn more...