Holiday Safety in Cape May County: Christmas Trees
Make Holiday Safety in Cape May County a Priority this Season!
About Christmas Trees
- Between 2010-2014, U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 210 home fires that started with Christmas trees per year. These fires caused an average of 6 deaths, 16 injuries, and $16.2 million in direct property damage annually.
- On average, one of every 34 reported home fires that began with a Christmas tree resulted in a death, compared to an average of one death per 142 total reported home fires.
- Some type of electrical distribution or lighting equipment was involved in one-third (35%) of home Christmas tree fires.
- Twenty-three percent of Christmas tree fires were intentional.
- Two of every five (38%) home Christmas tree fires started in the living room, family room, or den.
Source: NFPA's "Home Structure Fires Involving Christmas Trees" report.